Sort by type : venue
NEESR and Shared-Use Project Publications (partial)
NEESR-GC: Mitigation of Collapse Risk in Vulnerable Concrete Buildings, Principal Investigator: Moehle (Berkeley)
- Star, LM, G Mylonakis, and JP Stewart (2012). "Simplified identification scheme for structures on a flexible base," Proc. 15th World Conf. on Earthquake Eng., Sept 24-28, 2012, Lisbon, Portugal. Paper No. 5232.
Performance Testing of Full-Scale Bridge Abutment
Principal Investigator: Jonathan P. Stewart (UCLA)
- Lemnitzer, A, P Khalili-Tehrani, ER Ahlberg, C Rha, T Taciroglu, JW Wallace, and JP Stewart (2010). "Nonlinear efficiency factors for bored pile group under lateral loading," J. Geotech. & Geoenv. Engrg., 136 (12), 1673-1685.
- Shamsabadi, A., Khalili-Tehrani, P., Stewart, J.P., and Taciroglu, E. (2010). "Validated simulation models for lateral response of bridge abutments with typical backfills," J. Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 15 (3), 302-311.
- Lemnitzer, A., Ahlberg, E.R., Nigbor, R.L., Shamsabadi, A., Wallace, J.W., and Stewart, J.P. (2009). "Lateral performance of full-scale bridge abutment wall with granular backfill," J. Geotech. & Geoenv. Engrg., ASCE, 135 (4), 506-514.
Structural Health Monitoring of Tall and Important Buildings
Principal Investigator: John Wallace (UCLA)
- Skolnik, D., Lukac, M., Naik, Vinayak S., Kaiser, W.J., Kohler, M., Govindan, R., et al.(2007). Developments on the CENS Structural Health Monitoring Front. UC Los Angeles: Center for Embedded Network Sensing. Retrieved from: http://www.escholarship.org/uc/item/8qx229h5
Evaluation of an ACROSS-Type Source for the San Andreas Fault
Principal Investigator: Paul Silver (Carnegie Institute of Washington)
- F. Niu, P.G. Silver, R. Nigbor (2010), Time-lapse seismic imaging with an eccentric shaker, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, to be submitted, 2010.
- F. Niu, P. G. Silver, R. Nigbor (2010), Toward using eccentric mass shakers for active seismic monitoring, SSA Annual Meeting, Portland, Oregon, USA, April 21-23, 2010.
- Silver, P. G., F. Niu, R. Nigbor (2009), Assessing the role of fluids in episodic tremor and slip events using active seismic sources: results from a prototype experiment in Cascadia, AGU Fall meeting, San Francisco, California, USA. December 14-18, 2009.
- Silver, P. G., F. Niu, B. Wang, and R. Nigbor, The feasibility of using an eccentric mass shaker for time-lapse seismic imaging, SSA Annual Meeting, Monterey, California, USA, April 8-10, 2009.
- Fenglin Niu, Paul G. Silver, Thomas M. Daley, Xin Cheng & Ernest L. Majer. Preseismic velocity changes observed from active source monitoring at the Parkfield SAFOD drill site. Nature, Vol 454| 10 July 2008| doi:10.1038/nature07111
NEESR-II: A Seismic Study of Wind Turbines for Renewable Energy
Principal Investigator: Ahmed Elgamal (UCSD)
- Prowell, I., Elgamal, A., Luco, J.E., and Conte, J.P., (2010 est). "In-situ Ambient Vibration Study of a 900-kW Wind Turbine." (under review for journal publication).
- Prowell, I., Elgamal, A., Romanowitz, H., and Duggan, J.E. (2010). "Earthquake Response Modeling for a Parked and Operating Megawatt-Scale Wind Turbine." American Wind Energy Accosiation WINDPOWER Conference and Exposition, Houston, Texas, USA.
- Prowell, I., Elgamal, A., Jonkman, J., and Uang, C.M. (2010). "Estimation of Seismic Load Demand for a Wind Turbine in the Time Domain." European Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition, Warsaw, Poland, 2010 Conference Paper, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, NREL/CP-500-47536, Golden, Colorado, USA.
- Prowell, I., Elgamal, A., and Jonkman, J., (2010). "Seismic Response of a 5-MW Wind Turbine: The Shakeout Scenario." 9th US National and 10th Canadian Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Toronto, Canada.
- Prowell, I., Elgamal, A., and, Lu, J. (2010). "Modeling The Influence of Soil Structure Interaction on the Seismic Response of a 5 MW Wind Turbine." 5th International Conference on Recent Advances in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics in Honor of Professor I.M. Idriss, San Diego, California, USA.
- Prowell, I., Elgamal, A., Lu, J., and, Luco, J. E. (2009). "Modal properties of a modern wind turbine including SSI." 17th International Conference on Soil Mechanics & Geotechnical Engineering, Alexandria, Egypt.
- Prowell, I., Elgamal, A., and Jonkman, J., (2009). "FAST Simulation of Seismic Wind Turbine Response." ANCER Workshop, Urbana, Illinois, USA.
- Elgamal, A., Prowell, I., Conte, J., Luco, J.E., Uang, C.M., Duron, Z. (2009). "NEESR-II: A Seismic Study of Wind Turbines for Renewable Energy." NSF CMMI Research and Innovations Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Prowell, I., Veletsos, M., Elgamal, A., and Restrepo, J., (2008). "Shake Table Test of a 65 kW Wind Turbine and Computational Simulation.", Proceedings of the 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Prowell, Ian , Veletzos, Marc , Elgamal, Ahmed and Restrepo, José. "Experimental and Numerical Seismic Response of a 65 kW Wind Turbine", Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 13:8, 1172 – 1190, DOI: 10.1080/1363246090289832
- Prowell, I., Veletsos, M., and Elgamal, A., (2008). "Full Scale Testing for Investigation of Wind Turbine Seismic Response. Proceedings of the 7th World Wind Energy Conference, Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
GOALI: Development of Seismic Design Methodology for Precast Building Diaphrams
Principal Investigator: Robert Fleischman (Arizona)
- Robert B. Fleischman, Clay J. Naito, Jose Restrepo, Richard Sause, S. K. Ghosh. Seismic Design Methodology for Precast Concrete Diaphragms Part 1: Design Framework. PCI /2005/November-December/JL-05
Full Scale Cyclic Large Deflection Testing of Foundation Support Systems for Highway Bridges
Principal Investigator: Jonathan P. Stewart (UCLA)
- Calibration of Abutment Backfill Models through Physical Testing. Caltrans and PEER Seismic Research Seminar. Collaborators: A. Lemnitzer, E. Ahlberg, P. Khalili-Tehrani, E. Taciroglu, J. Wallace. Caltrans: A. Shamsabadi, C. Whitten.
NEESR-II: Dynamic Passive Pressure on Full-Scale Pile Caps
Principal Investigator: Travis Gerber (BYU)
- Heiner, L., Rollins, K.M., and Gerber T.M. (July 2008). Passive Force-Deflection Curves for Abutments with MSE Confined Approach Fills. Presented at the 6th National Conference on Bridegs and Highways. Paper No. 1B1-2:
- Rollins, K.M., Heiner, L., and Gerber T.M. (May 2008). Static & Dynamic Passive Force-Deflection Behavior of Abutments with MSE Confined Approach Fills. Interim Report on Load Tests Performed for Work Task 6, Utah Dept of Transportation Research Division.
- Kwon K-H, Gerber T.M, and Rollins, K.M. (May 2008). Increased Lateral Abutment Resistance from Gravel Backfills of Limited Width. Interim Report on Load Tests Performed for Work Task 3, Utah Dept of Transportation Research Division.
Field Vibration Testing and Analytical Studies of a Four-Story RC Building
Principal Investigator: John Wallace (UCLA)
- Yu, E., Skolnik, D., Whang, D.H., and Wallace, J.W. (May 2007) "Forced-Vibration Testing of a Four Story RC Buildings Utilizing the NEES@UCLA Mobile Field Laboratory," Earthquake Spectra, accepted for publication.
- Tjhin, T., Aschheim, M.A., Wallace, J. W. (2007). "Yield Displacement-Based Design of RC Wall Buildings," Engineering Structures, Vol. 29 Elsevier.
- Skolnik, D., Wallace, J., Whang, D., Yu, E., "Forced Vibration Testing of a Four Story RC Building Utilizing the nees@UCLA Mobile Field Laboratory," 8th US National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, San Francisco, April 2006, Paper 1566.
Monitoring the New Carquinez Bridge
Principal Investigator: Joel Conte (UCSD)
- Conte, J.P., He, X., Moaveni, B., Masri, S.F., Caffrey, J.P., Wahbeh, M., Tasbihgoo, F., Whang, D.H., and Elgamal, A. (2008). "Dynamic Testing of Alfred Zampa Memorial Bridge." Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 134, Issue 6, 871-1066.
Documents Describing nees@UCLA Equipment
- nees@UCLA Overview Presentation
- Stewart, J.P., Whang, D.H., Wallace, J.W. and Nigbor, R.L. (2005). "Field
Testing Capabilities of nees@UCLA Equipment Site for Soil-Structure Interaction Applications," Proc. Geo-Frontiers 2005,
Austin Texas, ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication 130-142, January 24-26
- Presentation given at conference
- Whang, D.H., Wallace, J.W., Stewart, J.P., Yu, E., Le,i Y. and Kang, S.W. (2004). "Integration of NEESgrid into the nees@UCLA field testing site," 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, Paper 486, August 1-6
- Whang, D.H., Wallace, J.W., Stewart, J.P. and Taciroglu, E. (2004). "Forced vibration testing of a reinforced concrete building using the nees@UCLA field testing site," 17th ASCE Engineering Mechanics Conference, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, June 13-16
- Yu, E., Whang, D.H., Venogupal, R., Stewart, J.P. and Wallace, J.W. (2004). "Force-vibration testing using the Linear Shaker Seismic Simulation (LSSS) testing method," 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vanncouver, B.C., Canada, Paper 2206, August 1-6
- Whang, D.H., Xu, N., Rangwala, S., Chintalapudi, K., Govindan, R., and Wallace, J.W., (2004). "Development of an embedded networked sensing system for structural health monitoring," 1st International Workshop for Advanced Smart Materials and Smart Structures Technology, Waikiki, Hawaii, January 12-14
- Whang, D.H., Fox, P.J., Nolan, T. and Nolan, P. (2003). "Development of a retrievable subsurface accelerometer," 6th International Symposium on Field Measurements in GeoMechanics (FMGM), Oslo, Norway, September 15-18
- Stewart, J.P., Whang, D.H., Fox, P.J., and Wallace, J.W. (2002). "Applications of UCLA NEES equipment for testing of soil-foundation-structure interaction," Proc. 7th U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Boston, MA, Paper 00018, July 21-25
- Stewart, J.P., Whang, D.H., Fox, P., and Wallace, J.W. (2001). "Full-scale simulation of seismic structure-foundation-soil interaction effects," in International Workshop for Earthquake Simulation in Geotechnical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, November 8-10
- nees@UCLA brochure
Applications of the nees@UCLA Equipment
- Moss, R.E.S., Collins, B., & Whang, D.H. (in press) "Retesting of Liquefaction and Non-Liquefaction Case Histories in the Imperial Valley with the CPT." Earthquake Spectra
- Yu, E., Whang, D.H., Wallace, J.W., Conte, J.P. and Stewart, J.P. (in press). "Force vibration testing of buildings using the linear shaker seismic simulation (LSSS) testing method," Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics
- Paek, J., Kothari, N., Chintalapudi, K., Rangwala, S., Xu, N., Caffrey, J., Govindan, R., Masri, S., Wallace, J. and Whang, D. (2005). "The performance of a wireless sensor network for structural health monitoring," 2nd European Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks, Istanbul, Turkey, January 31-February 2
- Yu, E., Whang, D.H., Venogupal, R., Stewart, J.P. and Wallace, J.W. (2004). "Force-vibration testing using the Linear Shaker Seismic Simulation (LSSS) testing method," 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, Paper 2206, August 1-6